The Profession of Dentistry
Dentistry is a discipline and a profession. A discipline is a branch of knowledge studied through higher education, while a profession consists of individuals educated according to the nationally regulated and defined standards of the discipline.
Being part of a professional group inspires a sense of trust, as well as confidence in the ability to provide a high standard of care for our patients. This should not be taken for granted as this trust and confidence is precious; unfortunately both are easier to lose than to gain.
The GDC Standards recommend that professionals:
- demonstrating respect, compassion and integrity
- responding to the needs of patients and society
- demonstrating sensitivity and responsiveness to patients' culture, age, gender and disabilities
- demonstrating a commitment to providing care and confidentiality of patient information
- demonstrating a commitment to excellence and on-going professional development
For further review go to GDC Standards for the Dental Team