Mouth cancer facts we need to change
- The latest figures show that in 2011, 6,767 people were diagnosed with mouth cancer in the UK alone. That's 18 people every single day. One every 77 minutes.
- The number of new cases demonstrates an increase of over 30% in the last decade, with further increases predicted.
- More than 2,000 people lose their lives to mouth cancer every year in the UK - more than cervical and testicular cancers combined.
- Cancer of the tongue and oral cavity are the most common forms of mouth cancer.
- 86% of those diagnosed are over the age of 50.
- More than 90% of mouth cancers in men and 85% in women are linked to lifestyle and environmental factors.
Reference: British Dental Health Foundation - www.mouthcancer.org/facts-figures